The St. George’s Story

Our school was founded by a group of forward-thinking parents unsatisfied with the quality of education available to their children. When St. George’s first opened its doors in 1930, the feeling was unmistakable: this school would be different.

“A central aim of the St. George’s School is the release of creative energy in the child.

Every child wants to know a multitude of things that they do not know.

Every child is endowed with the capacity to express themselves, and this innate capacity is immensely worth cultivating.”

First St. George’s Prospectus, 1930

Over the Years

1930

St. George’s welcomed its first class of 22 students, pioneering progressive teaching and learning practices that were considered outside of the norm. The original building was located at the corner of Clarke Avenue and The Boulevard.

1946

By 1946 the school had grown to more than 80 students from preschool to Grade 9, and had moved into a series of “rambling, comfortable” residential buildings at the corner of Ramezay Avenue and The Boulevard.

1955

On the occasion of St. George’s School’s 25th anniversary, students presented Principal Agnes Matthews with a sketch of their “dream school”. Two years later, the present-day High School building at 3100 The Boulevard was completed.

1958

The Class of 1958 became the first to graduate from St. George’s High School. Eight students received their diplomas, including one who had been at St. George’s since Grade 1 - the first “lifer”.

1971

St. George’s acquired the former St. George Snowshoe and Curling Club at 3685 The Boulevard, which was then renovated and expanded to become a new home for the Elementary School.

1998

Students, parents and teachers collaborated to bring about new updates to the Elementary School. State-of-the art computer labs and expanded library facilities were a fitting addition to usher in the new millennium at both campuses.

Past Heads of St. George’s School of Montreal

Ms. Sharon Klein, Head of School – 2014-2019
Mr. James A. Officer, Head of School Emeritus – 1993-2014
Mr. Bahadur C. Bhatla, Head of School Emeritus – 1990-1993
Mr. Leslie I. Larsen – 1987-1990
Mr. Bahadur C. Bhatla – 1986-1987
Rev. Murray C. Magor – 1981-1986
Ms. Norma Passaretti – 1978-1981

Mr. Bahadur C. Bhatla – 1977-1978
Mr. Vincent P. Skinner – 1975 - 1977
Mr. Robert T. Leicester – 1966-1975
Mr. Raymond Lester – 1963-1966
Dr. Agnes Matthews* – 1935-1963
Ms. Dorothy Cross – 1930-1935

* Dr. Matthews was granted the degree of Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, by McGill University at the time of her retirement from St. George's School. This degree was conferred to her in recognition of her outstanding contribution to the progressive education movement in Montreal.

Contact

Elementary School Campus
3685 The Boulevard
Westmount, QC H3Y 1S9

High School Campus
3100 The Boulevard
Montréal, QC H3Y 1R9

Admissions
514-904-0542
admissions@stgeorges.qc.ca